I don’t know if you are basketball fan but if you are you know the difference between a layup and a thunderous dunk. Although they are both worth the same two points, they are extremely different. A layup will add to your overall score and give you a greater opportunity to win the game because it is a high percentage shot. A thunderous and powerful dunk does not only give you the same two points but it has the power to swing the momentum in your favor. Don’t know what I mean? Check this out. Can you feel the emotion?
Picture yourself the running back in a football game and your team is down by 3 with 10 seconds left in the 4th quarter. Your team is in the red zone on the one yard line. The ball is snapped, placed in your hands and you explode through the line of scrimmage with the force of a full speed freight train crashing through empty wooden crate boxes left on the tracks. Two defenders try to deny you but you refuse to be stopped as you lower your shoulders, deliver a devestating blow, and drag them along with you into the end-zone for dramatic effect. The crowd is going nuts before you even realize that you just won the game.
Imagine being in the heat of an intense battle with chaos surrounding you. Your unit is demoralized and afraid because they are out numbered and being overpowered. Through sheer guts and an act of desperation you run out into the open, aggressive yet under control, with rage in your eyes, and completely annihilate the enemy removing the threat of their strongest unit. In the final struggle you could have simply started a fire but instead to inspire your peers you make an dramtic explosion.
I don’t know about you but I want to go out of this year with a bang. To me accomplishing goals is great but I want it to be a thunderous dunk instead of a layup. I want to drag a defender in behind me and I want to inspire others from my success. If I can do it I know you can as well. So, why just accomplish a goal when you can annihilate them.
If your goal was to write a chapter a day finish out this year writing two. If you wanted to start your own business double your investment of time and energy and watch your level of engagment sky rocket. Still not convinced?
Here’s some reasons why you should make a bang:
1. MOMENTUM – When you finish strongly the next obstacle becomes less and less intimidating. The crowd is in your favor. Emotion will carry you to your next success.
2. CONFIDENCE – With the success of every accomplishment you start to believe in yourself more and more. Confidence destroys fear.
3. MORAL – If you work in a team environment when people see your success it becomes contagious and the atmosphere changes.
4. TRUSTWORTHINESS– The display of your accomplishment will build trust with your peers. Not only did you complete what you set out to do but you completely destroyed it. Now you tell me would you trust the guy who got a 90% on a test over the guy who got 100%
5. IT DEMANDS ATTENTION– Enough said
What are you going to do today to make sure that you make a bang in this year?
For additional reading on this topic, click the link below